Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Unit 9 - Creating a digital catalog
Challenges have most definitely presented themselves during these past couple of weeks. In the past, my experience with cataloging has A.) only been print materials, and B.) working with established systems (i.e. using SEARS subject headings). Now I've had the chance to install repository software to catalog a small collection, and examine if LOC subject headings are really the best option. When describing an image, for example, in my EPrints collection, I felt like I was settling the closets LC heading shown, rather than finding the best headings to describe my item. This also leads to me to wonder how a user would see the collection when searching through it. The LC headings I assigned don't really seem like the types of keywords a user today might enter. Having a complete descriptive record (for example, a detailed description) could help. Those other descriptive fields could be utilized to include terms more likely to be used in a search.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment